Tuesday 30 August 2011

Treacle Tart

Pastry

150g plain flour
2.5 ml salt
65g butter
Flour for rolling out

I just used a packet of frozen dessert pastry which I had in the freezer.

Filling

45ml golden syrup
50g soft white breadcrumbs
5ml lemon juice

Method

Heat the oven to 200C.

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. 
Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add enough cold water for the mixture to form a stiff dough.
Press the dough together with your fingertips.
Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured surface.
Use it to line a 20cm pie plate.
Reroll the rest and cut into 1cm wide strips to form a lattice on top of the tart once filled. (optional)

Filling

Melt the syrup in a small saucepan.
Stir in the breadcrumbs and lemon juice.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pastry case.
Add lattice if using.

Bake for approx 30 mins - keep an eye on the pastry

Seriously unhealthy and I have never had a treacle tart before so I don't know how it would compare but we thought it was lovely! I didn't do the lattice on top as I am not that keen on pastry.

No comments:

Post a Comment